Gaming - PC and Console unite!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Before using the forum, please read the site rules! They're super important, so don't forget to read them!
Fancy a gaming weekend with friends? Then why not join the discussion and nominate a game for everyone to play! It'll be a ton of fun!
For all the latest Nintendo news from around the globe, check out WiiWareWave!
Welcome one and all to Nintygaming Forums! The only website with 100% pure Nintendo love and discussion!

You are not connected. Please login or register

3DS (Retail Recommendations)

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

13DS (Retail Recommendations) Empty 3DS (Retail Recommendations) 10/7/2012, 05:48

SunDown

SunDown
Level 5

Since I just canceled my pre-order for, "Heroes of Ruin," I'm trying to decide upon which 3DS retail title I should purchase instead. I recently did a little research on, "Resident Evil: Revelations," "Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes," "Mario Kart 7," "Super Mario 3D Land," "Tekken 3D Prime Edition," and "DoA: Dimensions," but I'm not too sure which game I really want. I'd really prefer a game with online multiplayer, since that was a feature that attracted me to HoR.

Demonic, are you still trying to schedule Mario Kart 7 tournaments?

Rory, how does, "Raid Mode," in RE: Revelations operate? Do you still play it once in awhile, or have you worn the game out by now? Also, how long is the story mode Rory, and is Raid Mode enjoyable enough to add a reasonable amount of longevity?

Demonic

Demonic
Level 5

I'd say Mario Kart 7, it's incredibly fun... however it's main view is online rather than a single player experience.

I've only played the demo of Resident Evil Revelations so I haven't played it online but it looks pretty fun but I could imagine it could get pretty boring...

https://forever-gaming.forumotion.com

SunDown

SunDown
Level 5

Does anybody know if, "Tales of the Abyss," is worthwhile? I know it doesn't feature any type of online multiplayer features, but I thought it must be good if it's a revamped port of a 2006 PS2 title. Also, I've never experienced any entry in the, "Tales of," series, so would that affect my enjoyment.

RoryLee

RoryLee
Level 5

Resident Evil:R is a great game. I'm can't qiute remember how long the story mode is, but I think it averages around 8 to 12 hours. I beat the game 3 times because I was trying to unlock some achievements and get some awesome weapons. I found the multiplayer to be pretty good and I still haven't finished it yet. It's more fun when you can team up with a friend.

I would pass on Tales of the Abyss. Tech recommended it to me and I put it around 6 to 8 hours and ended up never going back. I just found the action to be dull, the characters boring, and the voice acting horrible. The only reason I'm keeping it is because it might be one of those hard to find titles to get in the future...which means more money for me.

My all-time favorite game is Kid Icarus. No other game comes even close. But other recommendations are Ghost Recon, Mario Kart, and SML3D.

Demonic

Demonic
Level 5

Kid Icarus Uprising

This game is awesome, definitely worth every penny I spent on it! I don't think I've ever played a game that is more fun than this, it's like playing a full fledged home console game at home, but you can take it wherever you want.

Sakurai's games can never disappoint! So get this game in your 3DS Sunny!

Nerrel

Nerrel
Level 1

kid icarus is a really cool and unique game. i found the online wasn't for me, but it has a huge single player campaign. it's great if you like pure action.

mariokart 7 might be the best MK game but the online is tailor made to hold good players back. when you're winning the item spamming will frustrate the hell out of you, but when you're losing it can be fun. it's a great game for playing with friends, not so much randoms IMO.

3DLand is an extremely good game, but like you said, you want online play and it doesn't have any. you should definitely be sure to pick this up later at some point if you pass it up now.

revelations is another must have, even for the graphics alone. raid mode is fun but the level up system is a little confusing... that's a polite way of saying that it's a colossal clusterfuck of bad decisions. bit of a rant here, but anyone who's played online will know what i mean...

you can't just keep the guns you have and level them up. instead, your character has to level up first, then you'll be able to buy a higher level version of the same gun you already have. you have to do this over again to keep your guns current. this means that at any given time you can have dozens of copies of the same gun, all at different levels, so of course you'll end up deleting the lower level versions to keep the strong ones.

if you play online with people who are only at the same level as you then it's no problem, but players at lower levels will have weapons that may only deal 1/20th the damage of yours. this means that you can kill a zombie with one shot while your partner has to use a whole clip, so obviously you'll ruin the match by being an overpowered asshole the whole time. you either have to lower your own level manually (and lose the ability to use your high level guns) or keep a shitload of lower level guns on hand in order to play, which i doubt anyone ever does.

it goes the other way too; if a low level person joins a match you're hosting on one of the more difficult matches, their guns won't even put a scratch on the enemies and they won't survive very long.

like i said, it's confusing. balancing the difficulty between all the different players, weapons, and levels is needlessly complicated. i've spent far more time playing the mercenaries online and to be honest i think it has better online play, but there's no single player there. raid mode will definitely net you a lot of time outside the single player game, at least.

RoryLee

RoryLee
Level 5

What Nerrel said

If you would rather have a good online game, go with Mercenaries. But if you want a great Single player experience and a ho-hum online, go with Revelations.

The same goes for Kid Icarus. It has one of the best single player experiences for a handheld, and on par or at least better than alot of console games. The online can be enjoyable but like all other online games you are gonna have to deal with alot of BS. If you can get a group of friends together, online is a blast.

[G4L] P.K.

[G4L] P.K.
Level 3

I was thinking for racing games either getting Need For Speed: The Run or Asphalt 3d. If anyone has played either one of them, could you give me a short review or at least a recommendation?

I was also thinking of Oregon Trail 3ds. I recently watched a youtube review on it and the guy totally bashed the game. Can any confirm that it's a bad game from experience?

SunDown

SunDown
Level 5

I believe Chris720 has some experience with NFS: TR.

By the way P.K. a.k.a. Lun, my 3DS FC is located right under my title.

←←←

Demonic

Demonic
Level 5

We already have a recommendations thread lol.

Need for Speed: The Run is fun, the controls work well and the graphics are nice. However the story is pretty short, you have challenges you can play through to get more play time out of it, but once you complete them all there's no real need to go back. You can continue the fun online, but you'll probably have to wait 30 mins before you actually find someone to play against.

Asphalt 3D though is on a whole different planet entirely, basically, it is total garbage! The controls are wonky, the cars are missing pixels and when you drive a bike the rider is as still as a plank of wood, even when you hit a barrier at 200mph he's still Mr. Vertical sitting on the bike, what the hell Ubisoft? Where's the physics? Not to mention the sense of speed is pretty much not there.

Both games are junk unfortunately.

Merged to 3DS (Retail Recommendations)

[G4L] P.K.

[G4L] P.K.
Level 3

@Chris, well if both games are junk then what about:

Driver: Renegade vs. Ridge Racer 3d (i dunno, I just really want another racing game right now)

...or should I just wait for Sonic Allstars Racing release in a couple of months?

Demonic

Demonic
Level 5

Driver Renegade is apparently terrible, but I've never played it.

Ridge Racer 3D is a lot of fun once you get the drifting under control, but there's very little to do once you've finished the game except time trials and quick races.

Ridge Racer is a very good buy but I don't think you should spend any more than $20 on it.

SEGA All-Stars is looking pretty good, but I'd wait for reviews first, racing games are known to miss out parts for the handheld versions. :/

RoryLee

RoryLee
Level 5

*off-topic a little bit*
@Lun
I'm pretty sure they have a Need for Speed game that you can download in the eShop. I'm not sure what the reviews are like, but it would probably be on par with the retail games and maybe a cheaper option. I would go to NL and find the review on it.

Demonic

Demonic
Level 5

@Rory I think you mean Need for Speed Nitro-X. I was thinking of buying it but I went off it when I heard the game controls terribly, but NL gave it a good review and they're reviews are usually spot on, so maybe it's worth a shot.

There's also AiRace which is pretty good. And it's cheaper.

[G4L] P.K.

[G4L] P.K.
Level 3

I recently watched a review on Ridge Racer 3d and it showed a guy ramming his car into the siding (multiple times) and it didn't even slow him down. :/ Are there penalties for bad gameplay in this, or is the campaign mode pretty much a breeze start to finish? From what has been said so far it seems like RR is the better buy, I know the graphics look pretty good anyway.

Demonic

Demonic
Level 5

Depends on how you hit it, but RR was designed to be more of a friendlier game because when you're drifting and you don't control the drift properly, you can go swinging everywhere.

The game can be quite difficult to begin with, but once you have the drifting under control then it's a cake walk for the most part, but it's definitely the last couple of races which break you... they are tremendously hard!

RR3D is incredibly fun, I regret selling it now actually, never felt regret selling a game before... dam I miss RR3D. :(

SunDown

SunDown
Level 5

I'm trying to decide between either ordering a copy of, "Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes," "Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars," or, "Nano Assault". I only have $30 in my Amazon account, and I cannot afford, "Mario Kart 7," "Super Mario 3D Land," or, "Kid Icarus: Uprising".

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 3DS (Retail Recommendations) 364988687

Demonic

Demonic
Level 5

How much more do you need for MK7 or KI:U? I'd suggest waiting to get one of those two, you'll have more fun with those games and they'll last you longer.

Shadow Wars is an alright but I got bored with it after a while. I think it would've been better with some sort of online play.

SunDown

SunDown
Level 5

I'd probably need about $10 USD w/shipping & handling included.

Demonic

Demonic
Level 5

How long will it take for you to get that together? I'm sure it'll be worth your time to give it a while, save up that extra money and buy yourself a game that can keep you playing for a few months, if not longer.

Especially Kid Icarus, I've completed the story but I still haven't got all the weapons and powers yet, probably going to take me a while to get all that together, along with all the challenges you can complete, I've barely scratched the surface on Hades and Viridi's treasure hunts and not fully completed Palutena's treasure hunt either. :/ And collecting stronger weapons, creating new ones, buying them and even being sent them via SpotPass/StreetPass or winning them online.

Kid Icarus has a lot of content and you'll be going back to it time and time again, definitely worth every cent. The story may not be the longest I've played (but definitely longer than Heroes of Ruin), but the amount of content on the cartridge blows most games out of the water!

SunDown

SunDown
Level 5

I guess it's between, "Kid Icarus: Uprising," or, "Mario Kart 7," then. So, which one should I try to purchase first? It may be a longtime, before I can afford another game.

Side Note: I'm just going to purchase KI:U by default, unless somebody expresses disapproval.

RoryLee

RoryLee
Level 5

It might be a good idea to wait for SMB2. It sounds like its gonna have a leaderboard of some sorts on the coin collecting between you and your friends. And that right there should keep the replay value pretty high.

But if you are gonna purchase a game soon, I would go with Kid Icarus. This is a game that everyone should have in their 3DS library.

SunDown

SunDown
Level 5

Rory, I didn't really find NSMB very enjoyable, so I'd probably purchase, "Super Mario 3D Land," instead. Of what I've played, I'm already beginning to love SMG. I'll most likely choose, "Kid Icarus: Uprising," though. It just seems like more of a console seller than any other 3DS game currently available.

RoryLee

RoryLee
Level 5

Before you go out and buy Super Mario Land, I would ask people what they thought of it on Swapnote. I know Tech sold his when he beat the game and I know a few other people were turned didnt really care for it because of the low diffulculty, and that would be my main complaint with it. But it looks Fantastic in 3D and I still think people should have it in their 3DS collection.

Nerrel

Nerrel
Level 1

i think 3D land is a great game. it's a lot like mario galaxy but scaled down for a handheld, with gameplay a little more similar to the older 2D games. it may be relatively easy at first, but trust me, once you beat the game it gets hard. it's not too much of spoiler to say this- an alternate world opens up where you can replay every single level with added challenges or twists. some of them are time trials, others have shadow marios chasing you, etc. some of those were so hard i actually started to hate the game.

my only complaint is that the replay value isn't very high. you get nothing for collecting all the star coins and after you've beaten every stage there's no reason to pick it back up again. i suppose you could say the same for the galaxy games too, but the after-beating-the-game replay value for almost any other 3DS game you could buy right now would be higher.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum