Gaming - PC and Console unite!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Before using the forum, please read the site rules! They're super important, so don't forget to read them!
Fancy a gaming weekend with friends? Then why not join the discussion and nominate a game for everyone to play! It'll be a ton of fun!
For all the latest Nintendo news from around the globe, check out WiiWareWave!
Welcome one and all to Nintygaming Forums! The only website with 100% pure Nintendo love and discussion!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Crazy 1980's Ravings

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Crazy 1980's Ravings Empty Crazy 1980's Ravings 7/6/2012, 03:16

SunDown

SunDown
Level 5

This topic is sort of like Rory's, "Blast From the Past," thread, but it's strictly dedicated to the discussion of everything related to the 1980's era. Discuss your favorite or least favorite music, movies, videogames, edibles, beverages, clothes, cars and hair styles from the 1980's era. I'll soon be searching the internet for anything related to the 1980's era and posting it here in this bodacious thread. What I remember most about the 1980's was it's music and movies. It was also the only era when it was acceptable for a guy to wear bleach washed blue jeans with a pink Izod or Bugle Boy shirt and multi-colored neon shades. Although, I've been informed that multi-colored neon shades are actually coming back into style. They were definitely simpler times, even if it may not seem that way. So let the reminiscing commence my friends!

Last edited by SunDown on 7/6/2012, 10:26; edited 1 time in total

2Crazy 1980's Ravings Empty Re: Crazy 1980's Ravings 7/6/2012, 22:03

dan druff

dan druff
Level 1

the 80`s was the era when samplers became the new medium in music production.
we now live in a world were the amen break (the winstons - amen brother) and think break (lynn colins - think) are common place in early rap music, dance music, pop music, and tv theme tunes. all of which have been touched at some point by the drum loops sampled from two relatively unknown 60`s records.
good examples of these include, NWA - straight outta compton, rob base and ez rock - it takes two, and the futurama theme tune.
the early days of rave music, pretty much grew from extensive deconstructing and reconstructing of these break beats, especially the amen break, and is still pretty much in common use in todays dance music.

https://www.youtube.com/plotyourdownfall

3Crazy 1980's Ravings Empty Re: Crazy 1980's Ravings 8/6/2012, 00:20

RoryLee

RoryLee
Level 5

How about some Zubaz! These things were produced in the late 80s, but they didnt get popular until the early 90s. Good god, my stepdad used to wear these things all the time. And so did my neighbor....so much that we actually nicknamed him Zuba. Lol

Damn! Those guys are cool Crazy 1980's Ravings 351549032

4Crazy 1980's Ravings Empty Re: Crazy 1980's Ravings 12/9/2012, 21:00

NOSOUP4U

NOSOUP4U
Level 3

How about Parachute pants or Moonboots? Also "Preppies" and "Valley girls"? Not to mention sayings like "Gnarly!" Groady to the max! or Gag me with a spoon!

Edit: Oh! Also break dancing.

5Crazy 1980's Ravings Empty Re: Crazy 1980's Ravings 13/9/2012, 23:34

RoryLee

RoryLee
Level 5

Are moonboots what Napolean dynamite wore in his dance number?

How about the Big Wheel? I was always riding that thing everywhere.

6Crazy 1980's Ravings Empty Re: Crazy 1980's Ravings 14/9/2012, 06:24

SunDown

SunDown
Level 5

Ha! Yeah, those good old Big Wheels. What about the Sit & Spin Rory, or did you not own one of those as a child?

7Crazy 1980's Ravings Empty Re: Crazy 1980's Ravings 14/9/2012, 13:09

RoryLee

RoryLee
Level 5

My cousin had the Sit and Spin toy. I wasn't a big fan of getting dizzy so I never wanted one for myself.

The other toy I had was the Jumping ball. It was that big rubber ball that you sit on and bounce all over the damn place. I probably drove my parents nuts with that thing. Twisted Evil

8Crazy 1980's Ravings Empty Re: Crazy 1980's Ravings 15/9/2012, 09:08

SunDown

SunDown
Level 5

Oh, hell yeah! I know exactly which toy you're referring to Rory. I could never sit on those and balance myself correctly, though. While we're on the subject of classic toys, do any of you guys remember the Balzac Balls? Water balloons were supposed to last forever, but they would just consistently break after every couple of times they were tossed. Epic fail! Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by SunDown on 15/9/2012, 21:24; edited 1 time in total

9Crazy 1980's Ravings Empty Re: Crazy 1980's Ravings 15/9/2012, 15:20

[G4L] P.K.

[G4L] P.K.
Level 3

How about Chia pets? Anybody remember those things?

10Crazy 1980's Ravings Empty Re: Crazy 1980's Ravings 15/9/2012, 21:26

SunDown

SunDown
Level 5

Who would've thought anybody could become filthy fucking rich from a ceramic planter. Crazy 1980's Ravings 364988687

I have a few concepts of my own for an invention, but I don't have the type of cash needed to fund such an endeavor.

11Crazy 1980's Ravings Empty Re: Crazy 1980's Ravings 16/9/2012, 18:53

RoryLee

RoryLee
Level 5

[G4L] P.K. wrote:How about Chia pets? Anybody remember those things?

Of course I remember them. We ended up buying the Father-in-Law the Obama chia pet.

I can't remember what they're called but do you guys remember those bracelets with the funky 80s design that you flick across your wrist and they will twist around into a bracelet. I remember everyone in our grade went crazy over these.

12Crazy 1980's Ravings Empty Re: Crazy 1980's Ravings 16/9/2012, 23:35

SunDown

SunDown
Level 5

Oh, yeah! I remember those for sure Rory. You're referring to those thin metal bracelets that were wrapped with multi-colored fabric, right? Ha! If I actually owned an Obama chia pet, I would trim him up with a flat-top fade. Crazy 1980's Ravings 364988687 lol

What about T.V. shows from the 1980's? Do any of you guys remember that Nickelodeon show You Can't Do That on Television?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]